Measuring purchasing at the household level
ACNielsen Homescan is ACNielsen's leading-edge consumer panel designed to monitor the purchasing of barcoded products and, in a number of markets, fresh produce.
Homescan provides a marketing information service incorporating both descriptive and diagnostic data. The rich database not only tells you what is happening but, more importantly, it provides insights into why consumers behave the way they do and what marketing strategies may be necessary to change reinforce that behaviour.
- Understanding the consumer
- Measuring consumer reaction to new products (trial) and their ongoing relationship with that product (repeat)
- Effectively reaching target groups of consumers
- Understanding brand switching behaviour
- Identifying the demographic profiles and lifestyle stages of your consumers
- Identifying account specific opportunities
- Identifying who shops in which stores
- Understanding the effect of promotional / advertising strategies
- Analysing emerging trends and the effects on your brands/categories
- Understanding what drives the brand and whether marketing effort should be directed towards bringing in buyers (penetration) or increasing the buying rate
Identifying market opportunities.
The Homescan panels are demographically representative of the household population and therefore the purchasing behaviour of the panel can be grossed up to represent that of all households. Each household is equipped with a small handheld terminal through which details of all purchasing are entered - product, quantity, price and outlet. This information, along with the date of purchase, is linked with demographic details of the household and the household purchasing history.
A key advantage of Homescan is that it provides insights into buying behaviour across every type of purchase channel: from warehouse clubs to convenience stores, from supermarkets to drug stores, from computer stores and mass merchandisers to mail order and the Internet.
The Consumer Insights delivered by these consumer panels respresent the definitive source for understanding consumer purchase behaviour and shopping patterns for any segment of the population across all retail outlet types. In addition to comprehensive packaged grocery purchase data, fresh and random weight produce details are collected in certain markets, with the help of a comprehensive, quick to complete scanning code-book.